SENIOR MACHINING ESTIMATORCA - Santa Clarita
Responsible for machining estimating operations based on cost estimates of materials needed and internal/external processes required to make parts in accordance with customer requirements. Trains, sets standards, and leads the estimating department. Works with manufacturing and planning engineers to properly estimate new and existing work.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops cost estimates on individual parts and assemblies updates MRP system accordingly.
- Performs job planning based on estimates, if needed to support the job planners.
- Reviews customer drawings and understands the scope of work to bid.
- Utilizes knowledge of machines, engineering practices, mathematics, building materials and other physical sciences to estimate costs.
- Buys off on part costs in the MRP system.
- Obtains pricing for materials.
- Obtains bids from subcontractors and outside process vendors.
- Prepares cost analysis in the computer by recapitulating material, labor, equipment, subcontractor and overhead costs incurred.
- Determines best manufacturing processes for a machine part quote.
- Estimates set up time and run time, ensuring time to develop most competitive price for machining a part.
- Assesses knowledge level of subordinates and conduct training regularly as needed.
- Ensures all jobs are performed safely, in compliance with company safety rules and procedures.
- Informs immediate supervisor of any observed inaccuracies or omissions in quoted items or computer database.
- Additional Duties, as assigned
- Must have 10 years experience with machining (operating machines) or machining estimating or a combination of the two.
- Prefer minimum of five years of previous cost manufacturing operations experience.
- High school diploma or GED; prefer minimum two years technical school certificate.
- Must have some machining experience or knowledge in the following areas; 3 axis, 4 axis, and 5 axis machining centers.
- Must have lathe machining experience or knowledge pertaining to machining estimating.
- Possesses good verbal and written English communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Must follow the lean philosophy and practice the 5 S's on a daily basis.
- Must be able to work with others and share knowledge with other estimators.
- Ability to be detail-oriented and able to multi-task several functions.
- Must have working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Must be flexible enough to stay late or modify work hours on short notice, if production deadlines require it.
- Medical (PPO/HMO), dental, and vision insurance 100% coverage for employees and dependents
- Paid vacation for newly hired employees
- 401(k) plan that includes employer matching funds up to 6%
- Life insurance and disability coverage