Loan OfficerCA - Rancho Cucamonga
Position Purpose and Objectives
The Loan Officer 3 role is responsible for developing and servicing consumer loans including auto loans and unsecured personal loans. Reviews and analyzes consumer and home equity loan applications in order to determine credit worthiness of members. Approves consumer and home equity loans within their designated levels of authority that will mitigate losses to the credit union. Adheres to all policies and procedures of the Credit Union and provides lending knowledge to all ancillary areas in support of our lending functions.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Personally, provides exceptional member service; uses Service Standards in every work-related interaction.
- Actively participates in meeting the goals of the department and the Credit Union.
- Provides excellent service by using a positive and professional tone to assists Members and Team Members accurately, thoroughly and as efficiently as possible while maintaining consistent and friendly service.
- Uses organizational tools and techniques to complete tasks on time and successfully manage multiple competing priorities simultaneously, with the ability to give unexpected status in any of the areas of responsibility. Promotes a harmonious work environment that motivates others towards team participation, goal setting/accomplishment and personal development.
- Provides high quality service, defined as ensuring prompt and accurate lending decisions while identifying additional member benefit needs.
- Assembles and evaluates loan application and approves/declines those that are within approved lending limits and in accordance with sound lending practices as set forth in policies and procedures.
- Communicates with related team members, dealership partners and applicants to explain credit decisions and to obtain additional loan information and documentation.
- Takes member applications, prepares loans for approval and funding while properly developing loans.
- Looks for cross-sell and up-sell opportunities at all times, asking member for additional business. Maximizes opportunities to offer the company products and services to benefit members and enhance the quality and depth of member relationships and profitability.
- Reviews consumer and home equity loan applications and supporting documents to develop information concerning loan needs.
- Develops more innovative structuring for loans that may not meet standard criterion, but that still present viability in approval. The noted strengths should be well documented and provide for member service and meeting financial needs while mitigating any additional risk to the credit union loan portfolio.
- Performs advanced review of earnings and financial condition of applicant to determine risk.
- Verifies/investigates credit, employment, and other information.
- Performs advanced analysis of financial and related data to determine ability to assume debt.
- Approves consumer and home equity loans up to and within their delegated authority levels.
- Recommends approval of consumer and home equity loans up to and with factors outside delegated lending authority. Has the ability to make a decision on the loan in the absence of department manager.
- Has complete knowledge of preparation of loan documents; required signatures, disbursement of funds, boarding of loans, and how to ensure member understands debt responsibility.
- Maintains a good working relationship with internal and external customers.
- Performs duties related to approving and processing loans including completing of all forms and compliance required for loan documentation, maintaining files, and researching and explaining various transactions to members and branch staff.
- Processes and resolves all levels of loan and loan maintenance inquires or provides appropriate assistance.
- Handles complex member disputes relating to loan decisions, working with branch, or call center teams or dealer partners as needed.
- Capable of completing and processing reporting tasks as well as audit reviews within the lending area this may encompass loan package review, file maintenance reports, or other report reviews/analysis designated within the department.
- Has working knowledge of collateral perfection requirements and regulations and can support branch efforts to collect proper documentation.
- Provides lending system training to Loan Officers, Call Center Representatives, and Branch Staff as needed.
- Provides limited direction and training to other lending staff as necessary.
- Has excellent knowledge of lending system functions and support and can direct Information Systems staff to issues and complications.
- Regular and predictable attendance and punctuality.
- Maintains a proficient knowledge of Bank Secrecy Act (BSA), Anti-Money Laundering (AML), Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC), Secure and Fair Enforcement (SAFE) Act for Mortgage Licensing, Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System (NMLS), and complies with all loan-related laws and regulations applicable to area of responsibility.
- Attends all training relative to position and stays informed to meet performance expectations. Complete all required compliance training by established deadlines.
- Other duties as assigned by Supervisor and deemed necessary to achieve the goals of the department and the credit union.
Positions directly supervised .This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Qualifications :To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Competencies for this position
- Active Listening.
- Attention to Detail.
- Business Acumen.
- Calm under Pressure.
- Communication/Presentation Proficiency.
- Conflict Management/Composure.
- Consultative Sales.
- Critical/Analytical Thinker.
- Decision Making.
- Efficient Multi-tasking in Fast-Paced Environment.
- Embracing Change.
- Emotional Intelligence.
- Ethical Conduct/Practice.
- Knowledge Retention.
- Member and Team Member Service Focus.
- Organizational Skills.
- Phone/E-mail Etiquette.
- Problem Solving/Analysis.
- Professionalism/Positive Behavior.
- Relationship Management.
- Sense of Urgency.
- Sound Reasoning.
- Technical Capacity.
- Time Management.
Specific knowledge, skills, and abilities required for this position
Extensive knowledge and understanding independently reviewing, analyzing and recommending approval/disapproval of home equity, consumer and real estate loans. Working knowledge of state and federal loan and collections laws; Knowledge of existing and proposed federal, state and local laws/regulations affecting loans. Intermediate knowledge of operating a personal computer, including the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) and Akcelerant software a plus as well as navigating the internet.
Advanced financial/credit analysis skills; basic typing skills; personal computer (pc) skills including word processing and spreadsheets; professional telephone etiquette; good decision-making skills.
Demonstrated ability to exceed established goals; enthusiastic, self-motivated with ability to interpret and analyze members' needs on a continual basis; excellent business development skills; ability to excel in a fast-paced environment, and meet goals and deadlines. Ability to work with constant interruptions while maintaining composure and courtesy with Members and Team Members.
Exceptional customer service skills; well-developed oral and written communication skills, as well as interpersonal skills, with the ability to listen actively, present information in a factual and service-minded way; basic typing and 10-key calculator skills. Must have time management, planning and organizations skills, with the ability to successfully manage multiple competing priorities simultaneously in order to bring tasks to conclusion on or before deadlines.
Ability to provide courteous, knowledgeable and professional Member and Team Member service in person, telephone and on virtual sessions. ability to think in logical and analytical terms. Must be discreet, able to handle confidential and proprietary information appropriately. Displays strong initiative, with the ability to anticipate and address issues proactively. Demonstrated high degree of integrity and ownership of all areas of responsibility.
Ability to use correct English grammar, punctuation and spelling; perform accurate data input into a variety of software programs. Detail-driven; monitors and checks work for precision, clarity and completeness and produces quality results.
Ability to assume responsibility for own learning and development by acquiring and refining of technical and professional skills needed in job-related areas. Ability to work cooperatively with others as part of a formal or informal team to accomplish Credit Union goals; ability to respect the needs, ideas, and contributions of others, ability to follow up on Member or Team Member complaints, questions or requests. Must be able to change quickly with the needs of a growing company and have the willingness and ability to work overtime as needed.
Education and Experience: High school diploma or its equivalent is required. Minimum of five (5) to seven (7) years of similar or related lending experience, preferably in a bank or Credit Union. Knowledge of working with Akcelerant a plus.
Compliance:Ability to maintain a proficient knowledge and compliance of all applicable rules and regulations under BSA/MLA and OFAC regulations. This includes, but is not limited to: Bank Secrecy Act; SAFE Act; Anti Money Laundering; Regulation B; Regulation C and Regulation Z.
Language Skills: Ability to communicate at all levels of the organization, as well as understand written and oral language, with the ability to effectively present information.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as interest, debt-to-income ratio, payment to income and percentages. Ability to perform basic math skills to include adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
Other Skills and Abilities: Ability to use office equipment such a personal computer and calculator. Must be able to type proficiently. Ability to be bonded. Ability to be punctual and have regular attendance. Ability to listen to others and provide/receive constructive feedback in a coaching/development setting. The ability to exhibit positive behavior by interacting with Members and Team Members in a manner consistent with our warm, caring and friendly culture. Ability to work weekends as workload requires.
Certificates, licenses, etc. required for this position: Mortgage Loan Originator designation under the National Mortgage Licensing System (NMLS).
The position operates in a clerical office setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines.
Our company is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion or religious creed, gender, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), gender identity/expression; sexual orientation; national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected military/veteran status, marital/family status, genetic information/characteristics, family or medical care leave, physical or mental disability; political awareness or affiliations, birthplace, ethnicity, or other characteristics protected in accordance with all applicable federal, state and local law.
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by a Team Member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. They are subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the Team Member is regularly required to do the following:
- Sitting at a desk for long periods of time.
- Intermittent standing, sitting, walking, bending, stooping, and neck flexing.
- Intermittent pushing, pulling and reaching above, at and below shoulder height.
- Repetitive motion- frequent keyboarding and mouse usage requiring the fingers to make small movements, and the use of hands and wrists.
- Simple grasping by using fingers and palm on an object.
- Manual dexterity.
- Carrying - transporting an object, usually by hand. The ability to carry and lift files up to 10 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Must be available to work Monday through Sunday, as well as maintain a flexible schedule to accommodate duties occurring outside of traditional business hours, or overtime when necessary.
- Travel to meetings and events required.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace. Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (909) 379-6643.
Team Player :Works well as a member of a group
Loyal :Shows firm and constant support to a cause
Enthusiastic :Shows intense and eager enjoyment and interest
Detail Oriented :Capable of carrying out a given task with all details necessary to get the task done well
Dedicated :Devoted to a task or purpose with loyalty or integrity
Self-Starter :Inspired to perform without outside help
Peer Recognition :Inspired to perform well by the praise of coworkers
Goal Completion :Inspired to perform well by the completion of tasks
Ability to Make an Impact :Inspired to perform well by the ability to contribute to the success of a project or the organization
High School or better.
5-7 years:Minimum of five (5) to seven (7) years of similar or related lending experience, preferably in a bank or Credit Union. Knowledge of working with Akcelerant a plus.
Licenses & Certifications
Mortgage Loan Originator